Wiki Shopping summer 2007
This page collects my notes on wiki shopping in September, 2007
Host Confluence at home: requires a server running in the house somewhere. If
it's in the den it's too loud (and hot?), if it's in the garage it has to have
wireless. To get wireless is another two days of fiddling, or install Windows
and have attackers know my security holes. Or a laptop in the den which means
Features I want (and why)
reasonably well. I can live without this if I have to.
- Child pages - three reasons:
- Automatic list of children in a parent page
- Automatic link back to the parent from a child page
- Automatic structured site index
- Ability to remove decoration and view on the cell phone would be nice
- Hosted if not too much money, not publicly viewable, etc.
- Or PHP/Perl and host on bitinglapcat
- Not a wiki
- Already available on all my systems
- Can't edit content from elsewhere on the web - but how often...?
- Slow to open, connect, and save changes
- Slow and unreliable synchronize to maintain a local copy from the master
- Can't use a USB key to hold the master because it's unreliable
Now there's an idea. I tried it; you can read my
notes. I've been using it for several
weeks and I like it. But it'll cost me. And I can't put high-traffic stuff on
it, the Man will notice. That's OK, I can use other hosters for bulk, but it's
Man, its draft-save feature sure just saved my ass...
Too expensive, minimum $50 a month or so. Only 8 mos to a new laptop
This is the one where the author has a philosophical objection to WYSIWYG.
I looked for "pmwiki" and "child page" and found proposals but nothing I
I tried this on bitinglapcat once, didn't like the performance. Too slow, at
least on the servers I was connected to.
Note: twiki supports the notion of child pages... But it uses Perl and I
don't know how to enable perl on bitinglapcat. So find out. Also they
blacklisted my IP address for no reason I can figure. Can still access the site
from IBM though.
Bad. Has parent/child navigation, but no clean links to individual pages.
Without paying for it I don't get full text search. It's a hundred Euros.
This has a breadcrumb trail at the top but it's not structured.
This page was last edited
April 26, 2008.